Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I am thankful for....

I am always going to be thankful for a lot of things in life. There were many instances that changed who I am as a person and for all of those I am thankful for. I am especially thankful for one thing that if I had not have been given this chance in my life I would have been deeply saddened and changed undoubtedly.

Two years ago my brother, Joe, was suffering from colon cancer. It was an on going battle that changed me and the way I view everything in life. In August of 2011 I spent my last vacation with Joe. We spent a week down in Long Beach Island, NJ at a lovely beach house. We went to fantasy island where Joe on little Domani toys from the crane machines. He tried and tried to get those stupid things out for a long time before he finally won something for Domani. But he didn't give up although I'm sure it was bought for 10 times more than the toy was worth. It was a special moment. We all enjoyed dinner at a nice restaurant where we took up a huge table to fit all of us. We shared laughs and even had some drinks. It was the perfect vacation.

Than the vacation ended and I came home to Idaho. At the time the thought of seeing Joe at Christmas didn't even cross my mind as something that wasn't a possibility. He was doing fine, he'd be there. Well as most of us know life isn't always what we expect it to be. Things can change in the blink of an eye and flip our whole world upside down. As the weeks went by Joe's condition changed and he wasn't getting better or even staying in the same health condition. It was getting close to Thanksgiving and I was frequently either on the phone or skyping with my sister and family to figure out some plans for me to be able to come home. I didn't want to come home only after he had passed away. And we were at the point where a decision had to be made soon. My sister Anne  wanted me to be there for Thanksgiving. We wanted to spend one last day as a family and truly know what we were grateful for, Joe.

As we were quickly figuring out details for me to get on a plane and make it to New Jersey around my work schedule here and get something booked that didn't cost a large fortune a little less than a miracle happened. My sister Anne (Joe's wife) was overwhelmed to say the least, discussing things with people at work and family and finding comfort from both. This miracle was not just an act of something so selfless, but a person who I will forever be thankful for.

Anne called me one day leading up to Thanksgiving and said she had been talking with one of her co-workers who was offering to buy my ticket home. She was aware of the situation and didn't want me to miss out on spending time with my family and brother. I was shocked. Filled with so many thankful emotions I could not express how relieved I was to be going home.

I am extremely thankful for someone who could be so selfless and understand how important this was for our family, my sister, and for myself.

I came up with a plan and shared it with Anne. If I am already coming home why not hold out on telling everyone until Thanksgiving day when they come over to her house for lunch. As hard as it was we waited and no spoiler was given. Anne picked me up from the airport the night before Thanksgiving and I spent the night with her and Joe just us. It was needless to say some perfect alone time. We just did regular things, we watched TV and hung out watching Domani play and get into trouble around the house.

The next day as we awoke and eagerly anticipated the surprised look on everyone's faces as I came upstairs from the basement to surprise them I could barely wait any longer! Finally everyone arrived and I waited for just the right time to come upstairs. I slowly opened the door to find my Dad standing by the sink and my sister Karen standing in front of the stove in the kitchen. My Dad must have heard me take a step up onto the hardwood floor because he turned around and so did my sister. I hugged my Dad and than my sister as I made my way into the living room. My Mom had her back turned to me so I slowly tapped her on the shoulder and she was more in shock than any of my family had been we cried in each others arms as my brother Chris and Anne joined in on the hug.

I was in that moment the most thankful I have been in my entire life. Still to this day if you ask me what I am most thankful for it is for being able to spend Joe's last thanksgiving with him and my family.

I'll leave you with this..

Be thankful not for what you have in life but for who you have. There may come a day when you lose people you care about and on that day you can reminisce of the days you did have with them. It is about the ones you love and the moments you create to share with them. Take a step back this Thanksgiving and really remember what you are thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment